What should I do if I have heading tags <h1></h1> around my logo?
Most Shopify themes automatically include a heading tag <H1></H1> around your logo or store name.
If your theme does this, you'll likely see this error message in Plug In SEO:
While it is best practice to only have one heading tag per page, these heading tags around you logo will not impact your SEO. If you want to change it, users on Plug In SEO Plus or Pro can ask one of our experts to make a code adjustment so only your page title is in <H1> tags.
If you would like to try it for yourself, you will need to edit your theme code in Shopify.
How to Change the H1 Tags around your Logo
- Go to Online Store > Themes (we used the Debut theme in our example)
- Make a copy of your active theme as a backup.
- Click Actions, then Edit Code
- Go to Sections and open the Header.liquid file or the header-logo-block.liquid file.
- Search for /H1 in the text.
- Change the HTML tags to
- Save and preview the changes
- If you are happy with the results you can publish the updated theme
- Run the SEO Check on your home page again. The image / link issue in your H1 tags should be resolved.
Change H1 around Logo to Div - Watch Video
Changing the H1 to DIV will mean that your site will flag you for not having Primary Heading on your homepage.
You can read about how to update an existing heading or add a new heading in this document: What should I do if my title is not currently the primary heading of my page.
Removing the H1 from around the logo will mean that there is no H1 on your home page, unless you had a "duplicate H1" error. You can add a custom HTML section to your home page and add a keyword phrase wrapped in <h1> ... </h1> to resolve this.